Monday, January 26, 2009

Student Housing :(

So on Saturday I was downstairs in my basement, curled up on my big loveseat, reading my book, when I heard the sound of dripping water! I rushed over to the closet that holds the water heater and all the piping and found that the sewer pipe was leaking all over my carpet. GAG! I hurried and got all of our belongings out of the way after shrieking for Isaac to come and help me. He finished moving things and putting a bucket under the leak while I called the landlord. The landlord told us that he was not home but would be home quickly. Two and a half hours later he shows up, bangs on the pipes a little bit and then tells me he will be right back. He never comes back. I call him two hours later and he tells me that the plummer will be at my house at 5:30. The plumber comes at 6:00. *Interjection* Isaac and I have a really old shack with really old appliances. Our shower broke for the third time right before Christmas. We were gone while our landlord fixed it, and when we got home we could hear the sound of running water. We thought our landlord had turned it on. *Back to the flooding story* The plumber comes and listens to the sound of the water and says that the water main is broken which was flooding into the sewer main, which was flooding into our house. GAG! The sewer pipes are also really old and have tree roots in them so something got caught in the roots which caused the flooding in cominbation with the broken water main. I guess on the bright side is that it is not complete sewer water, but still! Our house smelled so bad, like poop. Isaac went to the store and bought lots of deorderizing spray.

I don't know what our landlord is going to do. To fix the real problem will cost about $20,000. In my opinion he will just let the water run. That is fine with me unless it will cause more poop water to flood my basement. But we do have a pretty good landlord. He cleaned up the mess for us while we went to the temple. I am so glad that we will be moving at the end of the semester and actually live in a place where they have to keep it nice.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I loved reading your story! I know you told me yesterday, but it was fun to read it too! Good luck with your semi-ongoing problem! Let us know if you need anything!!

Francesca said...

Wow. I am so sorry you have to put up with all that!

anna said...

It is really nice to hear ur news except ur plumbing problem....the rest was really fun to read. Is it taken care of? I miss you much...
LOVE LOTS MOTHER!!! (She was at my house and we were looking at ur blog...)